Friday, May 6, 2011

Dr. Doolittle?

Besides writing this blog, one of my duties here at Andalusia is taking care of our peafowl. Every day I clean out the aviary and make sure the birds have plenty of food and fresh water. I usually finish up by giving them one of their favorite treats - cracked corn or spinach. For the last week or two the birds have not been all that interested since they have been getting their fill of the mulberries that have been dropping from the tree above the aviary. Today, as you can see, they were more receptive. Now, I'm no Dr. Doolittle, but over the course of the last year, the birds have gotten used to me and are comfortable enough having me around that they will actually take food from my hand. It used to be that only Manley Pointer (the male) was bold enough to do this. Lately, however, one of the females (Joy Hulga or Mary Grace - we can't tell them apart) has gotten up enough nerve to get in on the act, too. We're wondering if her sudden interest isn't due to the fact that she may be pregnant and needs the extra nutrients the spinach provides. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't find her sitting on a clutch of eggs some day soon. Stay tuned for further developments.
- Mark

No comments: